Well, there were little bits of this and that from over the weekend, so I thought I’d do a random post today.
First off, I think I’m an advanced walker now. 🙂 I started exercising in the beginning of my weight loss journey using Leslie Sansone’s Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. Two miles maybe three days a week, then I bumped it up to three mile walks and added another day. I did that until last fall when I started using the elliptical machine at the gym. Well, Saturday night I pulled out one of her DVDs, the 3-mile Weight Loss Walk, and decided to do it for my workout. I have been hestitant to use these DVDs again because they don’t seem to push me as much as jogging or the elliptical does. But I learned something this time….
….if you pull those knees as high as you can with every step, even when the tempo quickens, and do every movement to the fullest that your body can produce you’ll get a good sweat. It may not have been as hard as jogging, but I was sweating just as bad after those 45 minutes as I do with The 30-day Shred. This made me happy for two reasons. (1) I found out I can still use these for a good workout and (2) I was capable of pushing myself to limits during that workout that I know I couldn’t do last fall. Woo Hoo! I think I’ll be adding some more walking at home into my summer workout routine.
That was about the highlight of my weekend as far as health goes. The rest is some lessons I learned:
- I still get rebellious and after a gain want to just eat and eat and not care anymore.
- I’m still having to learn to believe in myself that I can lose this weight. At the same time I almost felt a load come off of me after getting all my feelings out about mourning the loss of food.
- Greasy foods give me heartburn and I had it both Saturday and Sunday.
- Just because a cake looks cool, doesn’t mean it tastes that good. I think I’m going to have start becoming a food snob and only allow a bite of cake to first see if it’s worth spending my hunger on. The cake I tasted on Saturday was not, but it didn’t stop me from eating my small sliver. (Yes, small, that was the best part of that choice.)
- Speaking of things that aren’t worth it….Whataburger shakes ARE NOT WORTH THE CALORIES right now.. First off, the “medium” is 32 oz, of which I maybe had 1/2 to 2/3 of it as a treat Sunday night. All the fun was taken out of my treat when I got home and journaled it only to find out a 32 oz. chocolate shake has 1,000 calories in it. Yes, you read that right, 1,000. I even looked it up online to make sure. When I did the math I figured that’s about 125 calories for a half cup, and I’ve spent that much on a small treat before…now just put a bunch of those into one large shake. Suddenly I didn’t enjoy it as much. I told my husband, “It will be a LONG time before I ever get a shake again!”
- And last, but not least, having water with a grilled chicken sandwhich at Whataburger is just as satisfying as having soda. Actually after having the heartburn, and a soda the day before, grilled chicken and a cup of ice water was just perfect! (and much less calories too…)
- Blogging is a wonderful tool and I’m so grateful I’ve chosen to be a part of the weight loss neighborhood of blogland. Your support and smiles helped me so much this past week.
- Oh, and I am rebellious in another way…I refuse to give up on my weight loss journey because of some stress. I will acknowledge that it can play a big part in my emotions and eating habits, but I will fight it and learn how to win.
So, there are a few thoughts I had over the weekend. Oh, and of course, we had a very nice day Sunday celebrating Father’s Day with this wonderful man – my husband and father to our three children.
Have a great week everyone!